Question:
What symbolism/meaning do the jacks of each suit represent in a deck of playing cards?
Phile2000
2006-04-01 08:18:30 UTC
What symbolism/meaning do the jacks of each suit represent in a deck of playing cards?
Three answers:
jleslie4585
2006-04-01 10:00:30 UTC
Firstly the modern deck of playing cards is taken from the Minor Arcana of the Tarot and the four suits we know have been changed from the Tarot's

Clubs= Staves

Diamonds= Pentacles

Hearts= Cups

Spades= Swords

The Jack does not exist i nthe Tarot, it is presumed to come from either the Knight, or the Page. Many more ascribe it to the Page so i'll give you the brief meanings of the Page of the Tarot

Page of Wands= Faithful, perhaps a loyal lover, truthful and intelligence, survives trial.

Page of Cups= a studious youth, reflective and romantic. Young love, seductive, perhaps deceptive

Page of Swords= Alert, the young vibrant soldier, secrecy Vigilance and possessions

Page of Pentacles= young scholar, yearning for truth. study, message and management

Check the site below for a brief explanation of each individual tarot card. But you will gain much mroe form a real Tarot deck then a normal deck of cards
ianlake2000
2006-04-01 10:41:45 UTC
try this

Playing Card Historical Personage

King of Hearts Charlemagne

Queen of Hearts Judith (of the Book of Judith,

an Apocryphal Book of the Bible)

Jack of Hearts "La Hire," a famous French warrior

a.k.a. Etienne de Vignoles

King of Spades King David

Queen of Spades Pallas, a.k.a. Minerva

Jack of Spades Hogier the Dane,

one of Charlemagne's paladins

King of Diamonds Julius Caesar

Queen of Diamonds Rachel (of the Bible)

Jack of Diamonds Hector of Troy

alternately, Roland of France

King of Clubs Alexander the Great

Queen of Clubs Argine

An anagram of Regina

Jack of Clubs Lancelot
?
2016-05-20 15:09:48 UTC
I think I am the joker too, with a touch of the queen of hearts!